Friday, January 9, 2015

Einstein's Sex Change!


I'm a Boy!


For 17 1/2 years, my humans "thought" I was a girl!  They thought this because my very first veterinarian told them. He told them, my head shape was round, indicative to a female. Males are known to have more of a square shaped head. He said that my vent area also indicated I was a female. The fact that I am closely bonded to Jeff was another indication that I was a female.  Marcia later read an article about feather coloration. Since my tail feathers have a hint of grey and I have three bands of grey on the underside of my wings she was convinced I was female.

All these years it really didn't make a difference to my humans if I were a male or female, so they just never got me tested. I'm 17 going on 18! I've not laid an egg! That's a fact that might need to be explored! Don't you think?  

Sexual maturity for an African Grey is about 6-7 years, although it can happen earlier, and I've heard of some producing their first egg in their 20's. So, my humans became concerned that the possibility of egg binding might be concerning enough to have me DNA sexed.

Worry no more! I'm a boy!

What should you take away from this story? Have your parrot DNA sexed! The earlier the better and don't rely on myths and unscientific observations.

I think this is very funny! :> It's going to take Marcia and Jeff years to wrap their heads around this revelation!   I have a feeling they will continue to call me a "her" or a "she" around the house for a long time! 

One thing is for sure... I'll always be a "GOOD GIRRRRRL!"


itemprop="name" itemprop="image" itemprop="author" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/Person">

8 comments:

Unknown said...

My African grey has played 5 eggs in her 25 + years she's been with me. But either sex is fine by me... I love you sweetheart... RIP TANGO mango

Unknown said...

No matter what, I LOVE this bird! So sweet! ( *>
Enjoy your corn, sweetie ! ! !
Shake, rattle, and ROLL, sugar ! ! !

Charlotte Shifflett said...

I was just wondering if this bird was a girl or boy. Now I know. Thank you

Unknown said...

Oh thank you for sending me this information, I'm confused no more... I had a Blue Front Amazon for 40 years. We had him surgically sexed, and found out early on that he was a boy... he recently died and miss him so much.. that's how I found Einstein... I'm enjoying him so much...

Carol said...

I laughed too hard at this post! Our Harley, a Hahn’s Macaw that was rehomed to us when he was six was originally sold as a boy and passed along to another home before we got her 21years ago. Well, we were surprised to find 3 eggs in her cage floor one morning! Needless to say he was a she! Good thing that her name fit either gender!

Unknown said...

That's insane. We don't care we love you!

Anonymous said...

Strange,because,for me,Einstein has always been a boy.The test only confirmed it

Anonymous said...

I always thought Einstein WAS a boy because of his boy name. Lol