Saturday, March 12, 2011

My Play Perches

Ever Since I was in the DVD and CD ROM combination set entitled, “Train Your Parrot To Talk”, a lot of you have been asking me about my play perches.  I really like them and if you're crafty you can probably build them yourself.

The pictures are in thumbnail,
so click on them to see the "BIGGER" Picture!

My Kitchen Perch

My human, Jeff made this perch for me when I was a little chick.


It is made from an unfinished bar stool (24" tall) and a plastic plant saucer (22" diameter).  Marcia bought the toy hook from a company that is now out of business and she can't find anyone who makes one like it these days.  It mainly stays in the kitchen but can be rolled into other parts of the house.  The saucer is bolted to the stool, so it can be taken apart.  This is the perch we take to the bird sitter and when we go for a road trip in the car.  

My PVC Perch

This perch purchased at a Bird Mart in May of 1998.  It was built by the man who was selling them.  He had a whole bunch.  Marcia has never seen him at the show again, so I guess he went out of business too. 
 
I hope these pictures and measurements help you build one.  1" PVC pipe and fittings were used.  The measurements indicated are the cut lengths of the PVC pipe before you glue the fittings on.  I don't know what kind of glue was used.  Just be safe and be sure it doesn't "off-gas" and hurt your birdies. The measurements are close, but not exact. For example, I measured the poop tray as 17" x 25" and it's really 18" x 26".  The poop tray is a baking sheet and can be purchased from any restaurant supply. They can also be found on Amazon.com Click Here I suggest starting with the tray and build everything out from there.



 
   
Underside of Bowl

Tray and Tray Frame

Tray frame rests on intersecting supports


 

To make the PVC pipe less slippery, it looks like it has grooves gouged into it.  Most likely done with a Dremel tool.  All of the perches that I use are textured like this and I have no trouble getting around on them.



There are 10 stainless steel screw-eyes for hanging toys.  They are indicated with a red dot in this picture.


Have fun with this project and send me a picture of the perch you build!





7 comments:

Heather said...

I can't wait to build one for Zeke this weekend! (The PVC one)

Angie Simonsen said...

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this information!!! I've been watching Einstein all day, and think I'm in love!!! I will be playing the video's for Wolgang (Wolfie), the Timneh that blesses us with his presence!

Angie Simonsen said...

Oh, and you were asking about Pinterest on your FB page... I LOVE it, and use it for inspiration and to save things that I know I will want to revisit - like your blog! You've been pinned!

featherPA said...

Do you happen to have the shopping list for the parts to purchase?

Einstein Parrot said...

@featherPA No, I do not. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

What did you use for the pvc bowls?

Anonymous said...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PVC-4-in-dia-PVC-Cap-Fitting/3133139?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-plb-_-ggl-_-LIA_PLB_142_Pipe-Fittings-_-3133139-_-local-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gbraid=0AAAAAD2B2W9jE6Hh-vqN5MpldQ8oU7k3k&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2v-gBhC1ARIsAOQdKY0QM9s9ktRM8snhPvYReF9VUDoEV1sAC-oV5SoyxGUIctUXrP6uBqIaAvjzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds